Melissa grew up training at various studios including Dance City Inc, Youth Ballet Saskatchewan, Chinese Dance Association of Saskatchewan, and SaskExpress Studio – Regina. During her 13 years of training, she studied many different styles, including ballet, pointe, jazz, tap, hip hop, contemporary, lyrical, pom and traditional Chinese dance. Melissa has been teaching dance for the past 5 years and has been loving every second of it! She was a member of the Campbell Collegiate dance team for 2 years and was the recipient of the most valuable dancer award for both years (Junior Pom & Jazz Team). Additionally, Melissa was cast as a dancer & actor with the SaskExpress Performing Group for two summer casts (Takin’ Care of Business – 2016 & Circus of Life – 2018) and one winter cast (White Christmas – 2018). She loves to perform!
Melissa holds certifications with Acrobatic Art, Progressing Ballet Technique, and is a registered yoga teacher with yoga alliance (200hr RYT). She is a pre-associate member with CDTA and a Year 1 teacher training school student with ADAPT. Melissa is currently working towards her Advanced 2 Royal Academy of Dance (RAD) ballet certificate and Pre-Inter 3 tap and jazz ADAPT certificates. She believes in being a student for life and is constantly seeking new opportunities to fine tune her craft.
Besides dancing, Melissa is studying in her fourth year of University with the Faculty of Kinesiology at the University of Regina, majoring in Human Kinetics. Melissa is passionate about teaching young dancers about anatomy and exercise physiology to help keep their bodies strong and safe from injury. Alongside her bachelors degree, she is also pursuing a certificate in Early Childhood Studies with the University of Regina.
“I love yoga because it allows me to escape from my mind (similar feeling to performing on stage). My mind is constantly running but when I am on my yoga mat I let my heart lead the movements and give my mind a break. I believe in pre and post class chats with my students to get to the root of their problems whether that is physically or mentally. I am so excited to join the Martin School of Dance and Baton team and lead the yoga/stretch classes this year!”
- Registered Yoga Teacher (200hr RYT) – Yoga Alliance
- Pre-Associate Member: Canadian Dance Teachers’ Association (Sask Branch) – Stage Division (Jazz & Tap)
- Progressing Ballet Technique Certified
- Certified Acro Dance Preschool Teacher – Acrobatic Arts
- Module 1 Certified Teacher – Acrobatic Arts
- Year 1 Teacher Training School – ADAPT
- Activity Leader Certified – Respect In Sport
- Advanced Jazz & Tap – Canadian Dance Teachers’ Association
- National Achievement Award – CDTA Jazz & Tap
- Advanced 1 – Royal Academy of Dance
- Pre-Inter 1 Jazz & Tap – ADAPT
- Grade 4 Piano Certificate & Intermediate Rudiments Theory Certificate – Royal Conservatory of Music (RCM)